(Photograph by Micéal Ó Nuáin by permission of Africa Magazine)
1914 - 2000. From Bray Co Wicklow, educated in Blackrock College, he was an architect. Served Corps of Engineers during the Emergency. Had one brother Fr Gerard Ellis CSSp who served in Kenya. Remodelled Bray Church, designed the current Nunciature on the Navan Road, 1970; undertook extensive redecoration of Gardiner Street Church to comply with the liturgical norms and spirit of Vatican II, engaged in Lucan House the residence of the Italian Ambassador, and designed the Cathedral of Christ the King Nakuru, Kenya waving his normal fee. The award was conferred at the blessing of the Cathedral. Made OMRI by Italian State. Died on 12 March. (reference “A time to build” Fr Peter Coyle, 2013).