1898 – 1971. From Wexford, he was Managing Director of the Wexford Steamship Co. Ltd., an old established family owned shipping company which was one of the three private sector shipping companies directly involved in setting up Irish Shipping Limited. He was educated in Castleknock College. JJ Stafford's father first venture into the shipping industry was in 1891, he subsequently expanded his fleet and made history to become the first Irish ship owner to purchase a motor ship. The vessels which he owned traded around Europe, North and West Africa and Canada collecting coal, grain, oil, timber, cement, food supplies and livestock. In 1900 JJ Stafford bought John E Barry's extensive coal business and yards on Paul Quay, Wexford. In 1930 JJ Stafford found the limited liability company JJ Stafford and Sons (Wex) Ltd. along with the associated company Wexford Steamship Company which began trading in 1931. In the early 1930's he bought property in the Rosbercon area of New Ross where he planned to move and site his shipping and coal operations. James was involved in running the business. Like the other two private shipping companies, Mr. Stafford's company took over the management of some of the first ships acquired by Irish Shipping Limited in 1941 and managed them until September, 1946. He resigned as Chairman of the company in January, 1965, due to failing health. Among his other business interests, he was also a Director of the Gresham Hotel Ltd and the Munster & Leinster Bank and sat on the Transport Commission. He had a sister in the Poor Clares. Died on 26 January and buried in Wexford. Col Seán Brennan, KCSG, represented the President at the funeral.