(By permission of An Chartlann Mhileata)
1916 – 1975, Army Officer. Aide de Camp to President De Valera (Supreme Order of Christ). Part of delegation that accompanied President de Valera on State visit to Holy Father in March 1962. One of three Irishmen to be awarded membership of the Order in the Military Division. Born in Dingle, Co. Kerry. His brother Joseph (obit 1975 aged 64) was the first bishop of Eldoret Kenya. He was a Kiltegan priest. Brendan entered the Forces on 24 February, 1937 at the rank of ‘Volunteer’ and was commissioned 2/Lt on 24 June, 1940. He was wounded while on Border duty during the Emergency. Subsequent to service in the Military College, he was appointed Aide to An tUachtaran on 29 June 1959. He retired on 10 February 1969 at the rank of Commandant. He joined the Translation Branch in Leinster House on retirement from the Defence Forces. He died on 30 March 1975 and was buried In St Fintan’s Cemetery, Sutton as was President Patrick Hillery, member of the Pian Order and John McLaughlin, KSG.