1895-1996. Doctor. Born in Dublin, his father Peter was a draper and ran the family business in 109 Parnell Street and later in bigger premises in 114 Parnell Street. As was the custom at that time, John, his sisters Gertrude and Mai and brother Eddie, lived over the shop. He attended the Christian Brothers at O'Connell Schools, matriculating in 1914. He was medical officer to the Dublin Brigade of the IRA and was also one of the physicians who attended the autopsy on Michael Collins. In 1923, after postgraduate studies, he became surgeon in the Children's Hospital Temple Street, Dublin, Cappagh Orthopaedic Hospital [Finglas, Dublin] and Baldoyle Hospital [ Dublin] and became a full-time paediatric surgeon, the first in Ireland for more than 30 years" described as "senior surgeon" at Temple St, Cappagh and Baldoyle, he was an original member of the Hospitals Sweepstake Fund Committee (established in 1930, see also Joe McGrath, GCSS), later Vice-Chairman, co-founder of Irish Red Cross 1939, he was Secretary for many years, their HQ was set up next door to him at 16 Merrion Square. He was first Chairman of the re-named and re-organised "Medical Association of Eire" 1941, this is a body which went through many incarnations from 1839 to the present Irish Medical Organisation, see history of IMO, listed as "President of the Irish Medical Association" as at 1942 [Robins, 2000], Chairman of Irish Red Cross 1946–47. In 1970 he received Bonn Uachtarán na hÉireann, the President's Gold Medal of Merit. The Papal Award was presented by Msgr C J Barrett Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Dublin. Buried like so many other knights in Glasnevin Cemetery.
(Photo taken from: HumphrysFamilyTree.com)