1920-1996. Born in Dublin. Following an accident at the age of four he lost his sight. Showing a great interest in music from an early age, piano lessons with Miss Alice Bryan, a well known teacher in Dublin at the time, were followed by studies at the Royal Irish Academy of Music and at University College Dublin, where he graduated in 1944 with a BMus degree. As organist at the Augustinian Church, Thomas Street, in Dublin, he founded the Austin Singers, a boys’ choir. In 1966 he became organist in the newly-opened Church of he Holy Spirit in Ballyroan. As a dedicated teacher of piano and voice, he instilled in his students a life-long love of music. A Fellow of the Royal College of Organists, his organ recitals were broadcast on RTÉ and Vatican Radio and in recognition of his services to church music he was conferred with a Knighthood of St Gregory.