(photograph with Archbishop Gaetano Alibrandi courtesy of Maura Grant).
1910 – 1989. A carpenter from Hackballscross, Dundalk, Co. Louth Owen resided in Celtic Park Avenue, Dublin 9. In 1952, he was appointed Overseer in the Office of Public Works with responsibility for facilities management of government-owned properties within Dublin’s Phoenix Park. He was based at Áras an Uachtaráin but was very-well regarded by successive Papal Nuncios whose residence at that time was Ashtown Lodge, Phoenix Park. Owen was a committed Catholic with a strong allegiance to his faith. He worked tirelessly on behalf of his parish of Donnycarney, Dublin, 9 where he reared his family with his wife, Teresa. The award was presented by the then Nuncio, Archbishop Alibrandi at a ceremony at the Apostolic Nunciature. He died on 13th. March 1989 and is buried in Balgriffin Cemetry, Malahide, Co. Dublin.