1834 – 1914. From Derry, a pawnbroker. Known locally as Chevalier Hannigan. Bishop Street and Chapel Lane, Derry City. In the period 1907 to 1914 he contributed 75% cost of the rebuilding of the Long Tower church (1908 – 1909) in Derry. A Justice of the Peace he was President of a Conference of the Society of St Vincent de Paul. He held a prominent position in the poultry industry. He was well-known for his charitable works, especially to the Long Tower Church, making large donations to it over many years. The altar piece, “The Crucifixion”, which now hangs at the bottom of the stairs leading to the St Patrick’s Aisle Gallery, was donated by him many years before the present church was built. Another piece which was donated by him is the large jeweled monstrance, a gift in 1897 to mark the 1300th anniversary of the death of St Columba. The monstrance is inscribed with the relevant details under the base. Set up the Hannigan Trust which is now under Diocesan control. The honour was bestowed on him in the Bishop’s rooms in St. Columb’s College, due to his services to the poor and for his great generosity to the church. (We acknowledge the research of Ivor Doherty, Derry).